Saturday, September 7, 2013

La Crosse recap from a first time "bike tech"

When the opportunity to spend three days in a windowless room unpacking and repacking bicycles presented itself, I jumped on board (once the vacation days were approved).

This was the most amazing weekend since I participated in my own JDRF Ride to Cure September 2012. Watching new and returning riders accomplish whatever goal they had set for themselves was inspiring and uplifting, to say the very least.

As a volunteer, I was fortunate to have my own goals and even accomplished a handful of “firsts.”
1. Change a flat bike tire. Surprising, considering I was tech support, but I saved a riders last 16 miles with a quick tube change. High-five!

2. Pack a bike. If you’ve never spent 6 hours in a windowless room packing bikes (and sometimes yourself) with 3 pretty cool dudes, you’re missing out.

3. Ride a bike down a bubble wrap path. There’s video evidence of this extreme sport to be released at the 2014 Golden Globes.

No matter what role I seem to have with this incredible cause, I have my own triumphs and goosebump moments, which prove the power of the bicycle.

Ride on!
Michelle

No comments: