Monday, October 29, 2007

JDRF Promo Video

I came across this video promoting the JDRF and TuDiabetes.com, a site where I occasionally hang out. The point of the video is that 6 million people every year are diagnosed with diabetes, and it shows folks running around with a little number hovering over their heads. When I finished watching it, the first thing that I thought of was my son Ben running around and seeing his BG number hovering over his head. It would be wild to watch his BG in real time. I guess those with the continuous glucose monitor can already do this.

On a related note, I was watching Ben at a soccer game this weekend and he was playing really poorly. He just wasn't into it. At halftime I ran over to where he was and checked him. I thought sure he was low because he was just dragging big time. The meter counts down... 5, 4, 3, 2, ...1. 400 mg/dl. 400! Funny how I was almost hoping he was low so there'd be some excuse for his performance. I've thought the same thing when he's behaving badly. "There must be a reason for this behavior." Yeah, I guess the reason is, he's a kid. He's seven. He's going to have bad days completely unrelated to being a diabetic.

Anyway, take a look at the vid. Anyone can grab the embed code and throw it on their site. Might be useful for those still trying to raise money. I think they have other vids over at TuDiabetes.com as well.


Find more videos like this on Tu Diabetes - A Community for People Touched by Diabetes

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Chad: Thanks for the post. Regarding the CGM, it has been extremely helpful to me to monitor my blood sugar during times I will be extremely active, be driving a lot or away from my normal surroundings, but since I have been very lucky to be able to control my A1C in the low-to-mid 6 range (generally 6.3 - 6.6), I tend to use it to keep me from getting too low or too high while I am away from home for a stretch. It is very expensive, so I only use it maybe a week a month or so. I can see how it would be very helpful to monitor a child even more so.

Regarding your son's performance & his high blood glucose, don't let the fact that he did not pass out or behave as he would if he was low into thinking a high blood glucose cannot affect him while he is active. In fact, if he happened to have ketones in him, which would be very possible with a blood sugar reading of 400, it may have been a good indication that he needed to take a break, get lots of fluids & get his glucose down before resuming his game. A high blood glucose will make him lethargic & potentially dehydrated, so while he may have just had an "off-day", his diabetes may still have been the cause of his non-stellar performance.

God bless your son & family as we work to find a cure.

jack